Hadley Football Club were founded in the 1882/83 season. A notable achievement during the early years was a 1-0 defeat of Tottenham Hotspur, although Tottenham then was not of the calibre that it is now. In 1890/91, the fixture list included games v. Barnet, Enfield, Stroud Green, New Southgate, Crouch End, City Ramblers and Highfield Edmonton. The North Middlesex League and Alliance handbook of 1894 showed Hadley FC: Ground - Hadley Common; Dressing - Schoolroom on common; Colours - Blue and white.
The 1880's and 1890's were glamour times for Hadley when the club used to attract crowds of several hundred to the common. With regret however, the progressive Barnet FC etc. drew players away from Hadley. This was at about the turn of the century.
Club activities became low key around 1912 with Barnet FC becoming more prominent. Between these years and 1922 the club was up and down like a yo yo. Club fortunes again changed close to World War II and thereafter, with the emergence from the Hadley ranks of the famous Lester Finch who went on to play for Barnet FC and become a full amateur international.
Records show an upturn in Hadley FC activities after World War II. The club became a member of the Barnet and District League and, from about 1947, played at Wrotham Park at the Barnet end of Kitts End Road. Hadley played there until about 1955 when it then moved to Barnet Playing Fields in order to "have some better facilities". The club played in the North Suburban Intermediate Still playing at Barnet Playing Fields, the club then joined the Mid Herts League and were Premier Division Winners in 1975/76 and 1976/77. We also won the Mid Herts Premier Division Shield in 1976/77. Having won the Mid Herts Premier Division twice, the club wanted to progress to the Herts Senior County League so therefore moved to a pitch with better facilities in St. Albans Road, Barnet (current home of Bridgedown Golf Club). We had one season at this pitch before being told that it was no longer available to hire. We won the Herts Senior County League Division Three at our first attempt during this season.
However, we had to find a new home and played at a sports ground in Chandos Avenue, Whetstone, until 1985. The club left the Herts Senior County League to join the Southern Olympian League and moved grounds again to play at the Woodside Park Club, Southover, Totteridge.
In 1992 the club moved to a ground in Arkley and re-joined the Herts Senior County League in the 1999/00 season. The first team won the Division One championship in 2001/02 to move up to the Premier Division in 2002/03, where we finished mid-table.
2003/04 was the most successful season in the club for many years with the first team winning the Herts Senior County League Premier Division and the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy. 2004/05 was also very successful with the first team retaining the Premier Division title and the Reserves winning the Reserve Division One title and the Reserve Cup. Success continued into 2005/06 with the first team winning the prestigious Aubrey Cup.
In 2006-07 the first team finished Runners Up in the Herts Senior County League Premier Division. An application to join the Spartan South Midlands league was blocked by the Herts County League, so the following season (2007-08) the club played all of its football in the West Herts Saturday League. During this season, all Hadley teams won their respective leagues for the first time in the clubs history. This included the first team winning the Premier Division of the West Herts League and we again applied to join the Spartan South Midlands League. Our place in Division Two was accepted for the start of the 2008-09 season.
Our first season in the Spartan South Midlands League turned out to be a very successful one with the first team gaining promotion to Division One at the first attempt after finishing one point behind The 61 FC (Luton). The first team also won the Division Two Cup after beating Totternhoe in the final.